Monday 5 January 2009

MALAY LACEWING

Name : Malay Lacewing
Status : Sketch
Media : Watercolour on watercolour paper

Butterfly is going to be one of the beautiful insects to be included in my next series of painting. However, before I begin to make an abstract form of butterfly painting, I believe I should first study on the different species of this lovely creature first. My study may not include all the species but at least it’ll focus on the type of butterflies that will be featured in my scenery painting.

Among the butterflies that I would consider to be included in my study is Malay Lacewing. It is chosen simply because the butterfly carries the word "Malay" in its name. It is quite fascinating to find species by the name of Malay as synonym by people of Malaya. Furthermore the Malay Lacewing has very "brave" yellow, orange and red colour. The white "V" shape on the end of the wings also looks familiar to me like some Malay motif or pattern. Maybe our ancestors have a good eye on studying nature.

To colour this drawing, I started off with the yellow. And the final colour to be added is black. I learn that these black patches play a very significant role in pushing out or giving an extra brightness to the yellow. How fascinating! Then I try to colour the black first and leave yellow as the last colour to be added on. Even with only black colour on it, it still appears stunning. It is an extraordinary feeling to see the cosmic beauty of God’s creations even in small insects.

Malay Lacewing (Cethosia hypsea hypsina)
Genus: Cethosia Fabricius, 1807
Species: hypsea Doubleday, 1847
Subspecies: hypsina C. & R. Felder, 1867

Reference:

Thank you for your visit. Please collect this stamp once you've posted your comment by copying-and-pasting this URL on your webpage.

Stamp-butterfly

No comments: